Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Should I bring my car to Philadelphia for college?




G.Q.


I'm moving to Philadelphia soon for undergrad and I have been hearing that having a car there is more of a hassle than a luxury. So for all residents of the city I was wondering if you could provide any advice on what I should do? Thanks in advance!!! ;)


Answer
Must colleges do not allow freshmen to drive, or park, cars on campus:

Public transit is great in Philadelphia. And for those times and places where transit doesn't work for you there is always

PhillyCarShare is a non-profit organization that provides members with access to a fleet of vehicles on an hourly basis.

A web-based car share company debuted in Philadelphia recently and they are hoping local drivers will hop on board.

'Zipcar' is hoping to offer drivers freedom on the roads without all the costs of owning and maintaining a car.

Zipcar launched their program outside of City Hall in a town dominated by the local non-profit, Philly Car Share.

Brooklyn Transportation Help?




Xander


I plan on attending Brooklyn College in the fall and was wondering whether or not I should sell my car (I currently live in Massachusetts). Would it be worth it to keep my car or would it just be easier to rely on public transportation to get around?


Answer
I would suggest not bringing your car. The subways and buses in NYC are great. I choose not to have a car because I use the subway to get from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to my job in lower Manhattan every day. On the weekends if I am in the city I use the subway during the day and the occasional cab late at night. If I need a car - zipcar.com works. Running errands? i don't need a car for that. Where I live the grocery store, dry cleaners, bank, gym, laundrymat, take-out food, etc are all within 5 blocks. Many neighborhoods are the same way. Plus freshdirect.com will deliver groceries to your door if you can't lug the bags.

If you will not need the car to get to and from class then it is a luxury item. Can you afford the luxury item?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment