Thursday, August 22, 2013

How do I become an engineer for performance cars?

sports cars edmunds on Mustang 302R
sports cars edmunds image



Fish addic


I'm a high school senior and I intend on getting a mechanical engineering degree in college. I plan on going to Indiana my freshman year in college (hopefully Purdue). What steps do I need to take so I can design (mechanically and visually) for example Corvettes, mustangs, camaros,911, m3,C63 ,GTR or any sport or performance variant car. I'm open to any automaker I just want to bring my knowledge of cars to college and build my skills to the fullest so I can make the fastest and best performing cars in the world! I will do anything it takes, even if it means transferring colleges, changing degrees, or even moving across the world.


Answer
You have posted the same question at least 3 times! Don't be goofy - post once.

Mechanical Engineering would probably be a good choice, but find out whether Purdue offers courses/majors in industrial design. If so, be sure to take a few.

There are a few midwestern universities that offer specific degrees in automotive engineering:

Michigan State U
U of Michigan
Kettering U (Flint MI)
Michigan Technological University (Houghton MI)
IUPUI (Indiana U/Purdue U - Indianapolis)

There are several other good ones, too.

You can go to www.edmunds.com for more information on colleges offering automotive engineering programs.

What are some basic information i should know before buying a used car?

Q. I'm interested in buying my first car. Unfortunately I know little to nothing about cars. I do know that when buying a used car that it should have good milage. That's all i know. If you could tell me what type of cars would be good for a new owner or some helpful hints in what to look for so I don't show how obvious it is that I know nothing to the seller I would really apperciate it.


Answer
I may ramble so stay with me.

The best way to know if someone is a rube is if they don't know or incorrectly use the "lingo".
This is as true of cars as almost anything.

The second best indicator is they seem uncertain what they want.
The choices they make are wildly different. Sports car,the SUV,then family sedan, you get the idea.

Finally the "deer in the headlights" glazed look that's says "take my money,just don't hurt me".

Fortunately, the solution to all three is the same, it's free,anybody can do it and it can be loads of fun.

Still with me ? Good.
Im going to give you some tips and you are going to go out on a nice day have lunch out and go car shopping.

Not buying, shopping.

Get educated.
What kind of car do you need ? What will you be using it for most of the time ? How many people will it have to serve ? How many different needs ?

2.The lingo.
Car types
A Sedan has 4 doors and a trunk.
A Coupe has 2 doors and a trunk.
A Hatchback has 2 doors and the whole back opens.
A SUV is a truck with an enclosed body,unlike a pick up which has an open box in the back.

Engines and transmissions.
Most engines are either 4,6 or 8 cylinder. 4 is the most economical, 8 the most powerful, 6 is a good compromise for must sedans and coupes.
Transmissions are either automatic or manual. Automatic is simpler to operate and very common but costly to repair.

What to look for.
The mileage you describe is how far the car has traveled. 12K miles a year is average.
Typically a car will last well past 100k miles before expensive repairs will be needed.
Everything should work. Every switch and lever should function.
Under the hood, have someone "check the fluids". Oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, typically they should appear opaque and not have a burnt smell and be full to the limit.
The car should track straight,not pull to either side on a flat road either under braking or
just going foward.
The tires should match for brand and size (brand should be at least 3 of 4).
Measure tread with a penny. If the tread covers the top of Lincolns head it's OK.
It should recover quickly when it hits a bump.
Fluid stains under a car could indicate a leak or at a dealership that cars are moved to hide leaks.
A musty smell in the trunk or carpet indicates water damage.
A small magnet from your fridge and help you find rot and body repairs to metal parts as it wont stick to body filler or fiberglass. The place to check is around the wheel arches on the sides or anywhere the paint doesnt match.A lot of cars have plastic or fiberglas body panels these days so keep that in mind,

Try this out at a delaership where you know you won't buy a car.
Makes it easier to resist sales pressure. Be prepared to tell a dealer NO and mean it.

Last thing, check out Edmunds.com, Kelly Blue Book.com and E Bay motors to see what you like and about what it costs.
Good luck, now wasn't that a lot ? Hope it helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment