Tuesday, June 10, 2014

What's a good car under 25K or 30K for a teen girl going to college? (preferably sports car)?




GlamGurl


A used car or a new car....don't matter as long as it is under 25K or in rare cases where car is exceptionally nice looking i can spend upto 30K...
Rex: Uh.. I am a hard working girl. I get straight A's and I have earned some scholarships. My mom who is a teacher agreed to buy me a 25K or a 30K car seeing that I have enough scholarships and will probably get more from the college I choose to go to. Instead of spending money on college, she decided to get me a car. NOW TO GO TO COLLEGE I HAVE SAVED MONEY (which is not enough but good for personal spending for about 5 months) AND HAVE SCHOLARSHIPS AND EXPECT TO GET MORE WHEN I DECIDE TO SETTLE ON A COLLEGE!
Oh and my dad is a bank manager. We have money but just not to blow away...



Answer
If you are somewhere that gets snow then the Subaru Impreza WRX is a good idea, I don't think the 300 hp Sti is a particularly good idea for most drivers, it also makes it a target for being ripped off. I could buy one myself, but I don't think the additional insurance and attention is worthwhile. A regular WRX is on my shopping list.

The VW GTi (what used to be a Golf GTi) is a good car, they are built in Germany unlike most small VWs now, the 200hp engine is a lot for a small car and their DSG transmission gives you paddle shift gear changes if you don't just want to drive in automatic mode, it's great fun and much better on twisty roads. They'll seat four in comfort and also take a good amount of cargo if you fold the back seats down. 200hp is a lot to put through the front wheels on a wet or icy day.

So that's two fast and practical cars, I think the Gti is built better but the Subaru has more practicality in poor weather. How about a somewhat impractical car?

The Nissan 350Z Enthusiast could be had in my area for $28k, they stick to the road like glue and are ridiculously fast., on the down side they aren't big on practicality. I rent them from Hertz a few times a year.

$30k for a good used sports car? How old? You could get a decent old Porsche for that sort of money. Limiting it to a few years old and under 30,000 miles.

You should be able to get a BMW Z4 roadster or a G35 coupe, two fine examples of the type, the older G35s were a bit less rigid than they should be, for 2007 they doubled the number of welds. The 350Z and the G35 are he same body but the G35 has four seats and flexes a lot more, the 350Z is lighter and much more rigid but has almost no luggage space and what there is has the rear strut brace over the top of it, they helpfully provide instructions on how to get two golf bags in... if I was a golfer I'm sure I'd be delighted.

The Honda S2000 should be possible too, they list for near $35k but should be available used.

Personally I prefer the security of a hard top, convertibles and student life don't seem to go together.

I wouldn't recomend the Ford Mustang, poor handling, poor brakes and poor reliability don't make a great combination.

You could also try the BMW 325Ci, though it looks and drives like a regular 325, it is a coupe. I find they handle well but their medium term reliability isn't what you might hope (window regulators, 'final stage resistor' and cam position sensors are failures many 3-series owners know well). Pleasant cars to own though and they won't fall to pieces.

Good luck.

What is the some good sports cars for under 30k?




Benm550


Needs to have at least 4 seats. I've been looking around at Supras, RX-7s, and mustang GTs. Just want to know of some other good options.
More details? lets see. New or used. Needs to be manual. Prefer something from at least the 1990's to now, nothing too old. Like i said, i've been looking at Toyota Supra's, Mazda RX-7s and Mustang gt's(most likely a 1999-04 cobra) so that should give you an idea of what i am looking for.
just noticed i messed up the first part of the question. Obviously i meant "What are some good..."
Thanks for the advice Chief. I didn't really take into account repair costs on an older import, though i definitely should have. I have also been looking at the new 5.0 mustangs, but at this time it is a bit out of my price range, but you're right about the price going down. I'll definitely look into that in a little while as i am not planning on making a purchase right now, but around spring 2011 anyway.



Answer
Seriously, buy a Mustang and don't was anymore time on the others. This is going to sound biased, but don't buy foreign ride- if you want a sports car just stick with American Muscle, cant beat it so why try. If you are looking for a nice GT around 30K, wait until April or May of 2011 and buy a 2011 Ford Mustang GT coupe (by this time the incentives should be enough to drop it down to around 30K). This car will have the 5.0L V8 engine and you can't touch that on the street. Also, if (on the off chance it will need it) you need to have this vehicle worked on in the future you wont have to stroke a giant check for the repair work unlike foriegn makes which parts come from way over seas. Another good point, unless you are goin to tune up the foreign rides and sell them out right at a later date, you don't want to sink your money into something that wont add trade value to a car (aftermarket rims, supercharger, turbo, nitrous, or other tuning components) if you plan on trading it in down the road.

Just giving you straight up honest advice- although its your money, so do as you please!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment