Saturday, May 24, 2014

Are Car Dealerships allowed to sell cars with oil leaks?




TheRealCP1


I'm going to an infiniti dealership today to check out a 2007 Scion TC with 85,000 miles. I was just wondering, are car dealerships allowed to sell cars with oil leaks or do they have to fix them? The reason I'm asking is because a few weeks ago, my parents traded in their 1997 Mitsubishi Montero (106,000 Miles) for a New 2012 Toyota Rav4. They got $3,000 trade in value for the Mitsubishi. We had no accidents or anything but my parents did mention to the salesman that there was a leak and the oil had to be refilled every 2 weeks. To my parents surprise, the salesman said "Don't worry about it. I'm not even going to mention it." Now my mom and I are both skeptical that we're going to buy a Scion TC with an oil leak. We don't have the luxury of a mechanic coming with us to check out the car.
To Rob R - You wanna know who wants to buy a 97 Montero? The guy who went to buy it a week after we sold it to them. They priced it at $3500 and was gone in a week. That thing was clean and taken care of well so kiss my ass. Any car can have an oil leak, that's why I'm asking the question. That was a stupid answer. My know multiple people who would buy a car from 1997 especially if they need it.



Answer
well... I actually work as a mechanic for a B.M.W. dealership and when we have a car with a leak that is traded in, if it is easily fixed then it will be fixed and sold. If it is a car that needs more work that it is worth and the dealer wont recuperate the money for the repairs, they sell it at auction. You may not have a luxury of having a mechanic with you, but just look around in the engine area for wet spots, also spots that are dirty that dust or debris have attached to the surface because of oil residue.

Can anyone test drive luxury cars?




Shawn S


Are there requirments you have to meet to be able to test drive a luxury car from a dealership?


Answer
It depends on the dealership and their rules. Your age may play a factor, but that's because it can mess up the insurance coverage if you get into an accident while test driving. In addition, they might pre-qualify you depending on which car you are looking to buy. Don't expect to be able to drive a BMW M5 or a 2009 CTS-V without getting a bank approval.

The economy has hurt the car business just has it to millions of other people, so if you are serious about buying, then they will be serious about selling. Good luck and I hope this helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment