Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why do economy cars get better gas mileage then luxury cars?

luxury cars best gas mileage on New Top Ten 2014 Pickup Truck Mpg Release and Price on prices-cars.com
luxury cars best gas mileage image



Code Brown


I am doing a project for my business stat class. My group is doing research on gas mileage of cars and found out that on average economy cars get better gas mileage than luxury cars. and we were wondering why this would be. I have been doing online research and haven't been able to find out why this is; I am hoping some one here could help me out.


Answer
Economy cars are usually much lighter and have smaller engines than luxury cars.

Here is a perfect example

A 2009 Lexus LS430 has a 4.6 liter V8 engine and weighs 4244lbs. It gets 16mpg city/24mpg highway.

A 2009 Toyota Avalon (which the Lexus LS430 is based off of) has a 3.5 liter V6 and weighs 3490lbs. It gets 19mpg city and 28 mpg highway.

Luxury cars are expected to be much smoother and quieter than some cheaper cars. To do that, the additional sound deadning materials and techniques require the car be heavier. Luxury cars are also expected to be a little faster than economy cars therefore a larger more powerful motor is needed.

Whats a good impressive looking car with decent gas mileage under 25k?




Brad


I don't want to borrow money so I can only spend about 25k on a car. I do a lot with clients so I want it to be nice and impressive looking, but I also want it to get decent gas mileage. I put a lot of mileage on my truck and it gets about 14 MPH (2011 Ram). The new car needs to hold 4 adults. I know how to work on cars so I'm willing to take something with higher mileage if necessary, and it can be older, I just don't want it to look "old". 2wd is fine because I have the 4x4 truck as well I can drive if the weather gets bad or if I need to haul things, but I've had a few people tell me its not the most professional vehicle for the type of clients I work with.

I've never owned a "luxury" vehicle before.

I don't know luxury cars very well and I've tried to research them but it I can't find any good information on reliability of higher mileage luxury cars (60-80k). Is like a 2006-2010 Audi A4 (15 to 20k) ok if it has 78k-90k miles on it, or is that going to cause me trouble in a few years? are those reliable motors? an 08ish 3-5 series BMW ok?



Answer
Lexus or Acura




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment