Saturday, April 5, 2014

Which car should I buy as a daily car? A 2 years old pre-owned Mercedes S350, or a brand new Jaguar XF 3.0? ?




Tony T


Price of both are about the same.


Answer
What the hell is an "evergreen" car? I think someones translation software has a glitch.

Anyway, they are both beautiful cars and congrats on being able to shop for such nice vehicles. That said, lease the new Jag. You don't want to hang on to either of these cars beyond the warranty due to the shoddy reliability ratings they both get (buy a corolla if you want reliable. we're shopping for awesome here). Also, luxury car values are taking a nose dive along with the economy, and if you finance you will be tanked in that Mercedes. Actually, there's nothing wrong with leasing a new Benz either -- I personally love that new XF though. Buy assets that appreciate, lease assets that depreciate.

03 BMW for sons first car?




Johnny


I am looking to get a car for my son, and my wife seems to be set on these BMW 3 series going for around 6k-7k with anywhere from 90-120k miles on them.

I have never owned a BMW before, so my question is are the parts more expensive to repair then a low end car, like honda or toyota, and if they are can third party parts be used? also is the car a good in general?

Also anything else I need to know, besides getting a carfax?



Answer
I'm 18, i bought my first car 8 months ago, a BMW 323i from 2000, it had an automatic transmission it costed me 5000 CAD with taxes and everything included and it had 220,000km on it. It was clean had a sport package and M5 rims which are goodies for a car guy like me. I had a lot of fun with it it drives amazing and grips the corners like a racecar because it had near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and low centre of gravity. The power (168bhp in the 2.5L) was lacking but it got me going, even went 220km/h on the highway with it and back down to 0 safely and smoothely. It got me girls and popularity at high school but all thats great until the true side of the car came out. At 232,000km, I got the infamous no-reverse problem for the car. ITS REALLY COMMON. Im a car guy so i opened the tranny up and replaced the solenoids, not a big deal, cost me around 300 bucks for parts (costs bout 400 in labour but i did it myself) , before that I had a coolant leak straight from the radiator so i had to replace that aswell but i changed it to a Koyorad for $1000, so it was an upgrade and fix at the same time. BMW = Breaks my wallet, was coming true for me especially that it used more gas than my dads 08' Sienna. Now for the worst part, i was stuck in traffic on the highway and fumes started coming out of my engine bay, i pushed the car to the side on my own in 5'oclock traffic, and had it towed. The problem was that the whole clutch assembly, the torque converter, everything was completely burnt out. I found out later that it was quite common aswell, I am unable to fix it because the parts cost 2500+ and are too hard for me to attempt to fix on my own, the whole transmission is 5300 from Bmw which is more than my car and i can't find any salvage transmission off of used cars because its really rareto find one that fits your exact car for a fair price.

Needless to say my car is sitting infront of my house not moving for 4 weeks now. Why did this all happen? a couple of things went wrong that can happen to any part on this car:

I left my parker lights on overnight, my battery died, i boosted it and drove off.

Big mistake

The GM transmission found in my car (thats right i said General Motors as in Chevy) is a weird hydraulic electric one, if there is not enough power feeding it, it will self destruct. i was not running full power because i simply jump started my car rather than recharging the battery. One little mistake costed me a potential 5000 bucks.

That and a hundred little things like the super-overpriced paint when you scratch your car coming out of a parking space, or faulty hazard light button made in mexico have taught me to stay away from older german/swedish/italian cars until i have a full time job and can pay for all the incredible expenses.

what i would suggest is to finance a brand new car, like a Scion FR-S/Subaru BR-Z and sell it right before the warranty expires. I wish i would have known what was waiting for me when I bought a BMW for 5k. Luxury is expensive and there is no way of getting around that

And to answer your question, carfax is the absolute least important thing when considering to buy this car. Stay away from it and youll keep your wallet


One more thing before i go:
Cadillac recalled the exact same transmission but BMW didn't




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment