Sunday, July 28, 2013

What are the different types of astronomy and how do I choose?

sports cars 101 on Inova Photo on Modified Toyota Wish With Rear Top Spoiler And Full ...
sports cars 101 image



Mary Monro


Recently I have been very interested in the universe and I want to be a type of astronomist. I have lots of questions to ask and I need them all answered.

What type of astronomist studies life on other planets and the milky way?

How much do they ^ make?

What are the best schools in the U.S. that provide that type of schooling?

How many years of schooling would i have to go through to get the right education?

What would it be like in that type of career?

Thanks:)



Answer
First off, any profession in this type of field is very math intensive. You must be ok doing a lot of math to have a serious career.
Astronomer, Astrophysicist, Cosmologist study planets/galaxies/universe as a whole. Some people get steered into Physics, Applied Physics, Theoretical Physics and Quantum Physics if you want to know details of how/why the universe is on an atomic/subatomic scale (Really interesting books on those subjects in laymen's terms listed below).
I've had a big interest in astronomy since I took Astronomy 101 in community college, but didn't major in it due to all the math. As an alternative, you can do as I did by joining an astronomical society, a group of amateur astronomers who share the interest. Anyone can join. I'm now training to be a docent on a 24" telescope at a nearby observatory the society has access to. No math involved.
If you are serious, good in math, a couple of Universities near me have very strong astronomy/astrophysics departments: UC Berkeley and UC Santa Cruz, California.
As for the pay, these people are so passionate about their work they don't care if it dosn 't buy them a fancy sports car. Astronomy-based careers are a beloved life-style on their own.
Hope that helps.

Why do people watch Nascar and not Formula 1?




Rob


I find it boring watching cars go in circles for 500 laps, they should seriously rename it Driving In Circles 101.


Answer
Is it OK that I love both. Both sports are very different. What people love about F1 is not present in Nascar. What people love about Nascar is not present in F1. But listen to what people of each complain about and you'll see that often the other has. Each could learn something from the other. This is a subject I could write about for an hour. But it's lunch time.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment