Wednesday, July 31, 2013

How good are the manual transmissions for the 2001 Honda Civic?

luxury cars with manual transmission on Ferrari Manual Transmission
luxury cars with manual transmission image



Jerry


'm looking for my first car that I'll buy with my own money. Now I asked my parents about an Infiniti G20, I know it's a great car. Before they said that it was a good car because I've done research on it and told them it's a good car. Yesterday they went to a mechanic to get their tires changed and they asked about his opinion and he said that the maintenance on a G20 is "expensive", so my parents are going on his recommendation of a Honda Civic. I know that a Civic is one of the most reliable cars out there.

Last year I've been looking into civics because I wanted one so badly because of their gas mileage. So I researched the 2001 Honda civic with an automatic transmission and I found that lots of them had terrible transmission problems for the automatic. I'm wondering if the 5 speed manuals of the 2001 Civic had just as bad transmissions as the automatics.



Answer
The manual transmissions doesn't suffer from the bad reputation of Honda's automatics.
Honda, for years, have been making one of the best manual transmissions.
Your mechanic is right, the G20 is an expensive car to maintain. Only because it is a luxury car, and people don't buy a lot of luxury cars (unless it's like a Merc C class or BMW 3 Series). So therefore parts are very limited.
The Civic is a complete opposite. Lots of cheap parts out there because there is a demand for them.

Best car company to shop for a new car ?




Aaron


I am shopping around for a new hatchback. I need the space and portability. I'm looking for a car with good gas mileage. At least 30-40 MPG. And my budget is around 15000. Along with a manual transmission. Considering the large market nowadays for hatchbacks. What company would you suggest to get one from?


Answer
Its really all a matter of preference, depending on if you looking for preformace or utility, luxury etc. My personal opinion is I think imports last the longest without problems. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and subaru all seem to really hold up. Some people prefer domestic vehicles and thats fine too.

If you are looking at brand new 15,000 then you choice is pretty much limited to a honda fit, nissan versa, toyota yaris, or ford focus... all hatches but not very big. Again not sure what your looking for in terms of size.

If your looking for an all around good hatchbatck subaru offers the forester and impreza in hatchbacks, both of which have AWD if you are taking it off road or alot of winter driving. However the gas mileage due to the AWD is a little bit lower than what you are looking for.

Again to back track, the subcompact hatchbacks that i mentioned earlier all come in a manual, the best gas mileage out there almost as good as a hybrid because they are so small.

But if you are looking for something a little bigger you could even looking into things such as the honda accord crossover hatch. Gas mileage still very reasonalbe with much more space. Or perhaps a VW jetta or pussat or golf wagon.

Botton line depends on how much space you want ---> more space = bigger car = less gas mileage




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment