Sunday, May 11, 2014

Is a 2001 Mercedes c240 reliable?




Natalya


I have the opportunity to buy a used Mercedes that is right at bluebook value. It has 75,000 miles on it, and I need something to take me from Denver to Corvallis twice a year for three years with minimal driving inbetween. Let's say 16,000 miles total. Do you think this car is capable of that, or would I be paying too much for luxury rather than reliability? Does anyone know of typical problems that happen with this besides the Mass Air Flow problems I read about? Does anyone own one? Thanks!


Answer
They're generally okay. But, and this goes for ANY used vehicle, how it has been driven and maintained during the past 10 years will have a huge impact on its future reliability.

If you're seriously considering buying this vehicle, make it a condition of sale that it is to be inspected at a dealer or other trusted shop of YOUR choosing prior to finalizing the deal. This will hopefully keep you from getting stuck with any unanticipated repairs in the near future.

How much can I afford to spend?




Mr J Man


I understand if you live in major cities like Chicago, Denver, or New York that even $100,000 per year is considered good but not really rich. However if you live in a small city like me where you can buy a large house for only $600 per month, you can live like a king compared to all of the people in the city who work regular jobs barely making ends meet. I started a new job I have been at for six months now and I still run my internet business where it brings in income as well, so I am guessing I may make $60 - $70 thousand per year now.

I am a divorced man with a paid off car and my house payments are very low with no kids. Heck I don't even get to spend a lot of my checks they just sit in my account as I have thousands of dollars left over after I pay for the things I need. I am wondering how much I can really afford though? I wonder if I could actually afford a new Benz or other luxury, or am I going beyond my means? When I see other people with really expensive cars I wonder how much money they make to afford those things. I naturally assume that they are doctors, lawyers, or married with both working good jobs and family support. Please let me know as I am not sure if I should still live in a neighborhood with people who make a huge deal about spending $10 dollars on something.
Well I do not believe almost everyone with these cars are in debt and suffering. I am referring to the people who can actually afford it. I am wondering since I have been middle class all of my life if I actually make more than I am used to and should live like it instead of holding myself back. The car was only an example, I meant living in a nicer neighborhood because even three working low class people can afford a house. When I get home I see guys with big rims hanging outside like we are in the projects and even though there are no crime reports I wonder if I am able to afford living a nicer lifestyle.



Answer
I used to wonder the same thing... how can it be that everybody around me drives a new car while I still have the same old paid off car.

One day I got the courage up to ask questions... and the answers were shocking. These people are so used to spend over 90% of their paycheck to satisfy fixed bills including car payments, boat payments, house payments, credit cards that require $100's of dollars per month to satisfy the minimum payment due and then there is nothing left.... They have no money for food and their cupboard and refrigerators are empty. They simply can't afford to lightly spend $10 on anything after they paid their monthly bills.

Buy your Benz with cash and enjoy life. You managed to live way below your means and that is a great thing to do.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment