Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Why do economy cars get better gas mileage then luxury cars?

luxury cars with best mpg on Best Used Luxury Cars Under $20,000
luxury cars with best mpg image



Code Brown


I am doing a project for my business stat class. My group is doing research on gas mileage of cars and found out that on average economy cars get better gas mileage than luxury cars. and we were wondering why this would be. I have been doing online research and haven't been able to find out why this is; I am hoping some one here could help me out.


Answer
Economy cars are usually much lighter and have smaller engines than luxury cars.

Here is a perfect example

A 2009 Lexus LS430 has a 4.6 liter V8 engine and weighs 4244lbs. It gets 16mpg city/24mpg highway.

A 2009 Toyota Avalon (which the Lexus LS430 is based off of) has a 3.5 liter V6 and weighs 3490lbs. It gets 19mpg city and 28 mpg highway.

Luxury cars are expected to be much smoother and quieter than some cheaper cars. To do that, the additional sound deadning materials and techniques require the car be heavier. Luxury cars are also expected to be a little faster than economy cars therefore a larger more powerful motor is needed.

Which non-entry level luxury car provides the best gas mileage?




Steve


I'm looking for a new used luxury car. I'm current getting 33 average MPG with mostly highway driving. I'm looking to get the same or better MPG with a newer car. I require a luxury car, and not an entry-level model. Two or four doors is OK. What would you recommend to me?


Answer
BMW 335D 23city 36 highway.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment