Friday, August 16, 2013

If you have a supercharger but dont want to use the pricey gas could you take the belt off and drive without?

luxury cars that use 87 octane on LUXURY FAST CARS WALLPAPERS: March 2010
luxury cars that use 87 octane image



Zackary


I was contemplating on putting a supercharger into my V6 Mustang 3.8L and I read that they require at least 91 octane gas but I was wondering if maybe you could disconnect the belt to the supercharger and run regular 87 octane gas until you wanted to actually use the supercharger?


Answer
I'm not real familiar with how a supercharger works, but from what I know, it's not possible. Once you add a supercharger you add on alot more potential with the engine. It forces more air into the cylinders for a bigger explosion, meaning more HP.

Running 91 octane isn't bad. Idk where u are, but diesel cost more where I am. All sports cars, especially high-end ones, run on 91 aka premium. Luxury SUVs also run on premium.

If you stay out of the supercharge range(on turbo cars the turbos turn on at about 3000rpm, once they are on more gas is used). I know a guy who can get a good 25mpg out of his supercharged mustang GT. running 87 really only means less power to the engine.

Does the SC say requires premium? Or does it say recommend premium? If it says recommend, you can run 87 with the supercharger on.

What type of gasoline to put in an Audi A6?







I'm looking at cars and I'm really looking at this nice 1999 Audi A6.The only thing is that I know with some of the Audi's you have to put 93 octane in it and I'm a college student. I could justify putting in mid-grade fuel if it really makes a difference, but I don't want to have to spend a ton of money on gas for a car. Granted it does get pretty good mpg, but still. I would rather pay for gas that's 10 cents cheaper or more a gallon if I could get away with it.


Answer
You put whatever gas into the manufacturer recommends, which really changes depending on the engine. No, German cars do not require "premium gas", high compression motors - including ones made by Honda - require premium gas because of how the octane rating measures how much compression the fuel can take before it self ignites. And if a car was not starting it was not JUST because it had cheap gas in it...

That said, let's look at the math a quick second: So you save 10 cents a gallon? If a fuel tank is 15 gallons that's... a $1.50 per fillup. You're saving $1.50. You honestly can't spend an extra $1.50 to fill up the tank with the proper gas that won't eventually destroy the motor? Even if you fill up once a week that's still (roughly) only $75.00 a year. Yeah, it's not a tiny amount of money, but is it really THAT much? If it's really that big a deal to you, WHY IN THE WORLD are you considering buying a German luxury car?


"Running it on 87 octane isn't necessarily bad for the car,"

Yes, it is, actually. I know, I know "But there's knock sensors in the motor to retard the timing in case of pinging!", and that's true, but they are there to prevent a catastrophic failure. Their intended purpose is NOT to permanently adjust the timing to use a different type of gas, because here's the thing, even WITH the timing retarded you STILL have slight detonation and pinging happening, it's just not as bad. So now not only are you destroying your pistons and heads over time, you've also lost performance because of it!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment