Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Moving from Jacksonville, FL to Phoenix, AZ??

Q. I was recently offered a great career opportunity with my company for the position I've always wanted. These positions generally pop up all over the US. My boss is confident that I'll do good. He recently offered me a position in L.A, that I turned down due to the fact that it was too busy and far from my home. I have lived in Jacksonville, FL my whole life (23 years) and I'm scared to move, even though I know I will eventually have to imove somewhere else f I really want to follow my career path. In fact, the furthest south I've ever been was Dallas, TX. I need help. I have heard a few good things about it, but who really wants to leave FL? haha SO, why is Phoenix, AZ better than Jacksonville, FL? I need both positive and negative feedback. But, I don't want to know anything obvious like "No hurricanes or humidity". Thanks.
Yeah, I meant west, not south. Silly me!! Also, I am used to hot weather here in FL. It's almost unbearable at times. Today it is 97' plus the humidity. When I step outside it feels like I walked into a sauna. Also, Jacksonville is the largest city (in land mass) in the US, so I am used to driving like an hour or more just to get to another part of town. I really don't like driving that far or dealing with traffic.


Answer
The good: Pleasant aptmosphere, many friendly people, just hours away from the Grand Canyon, Mexico, Four Corners, Las Vegas, and the California coast. Scottsdale has great shopping, dining and entertainment. Home to ASU, the Orpheum and Gammage theatre. Mostly good traffic (only one rush hour around 5-6pm). Many easily navigatable freeways to save gas and time. Real estate is starting to go back down (slowly, but surely--MANY houses are for sale, so you can probably get a better rate right now). Downtown is very quiet and peaceful (VERY unlike NYC or SF/LA). One of the only places where saguaro cacti grow (you will see many of them). Diamond Backs rule (!). Lake Pleasant, Lake Roosavelt and other lakes surround the area, so fishing and boating are fun sports. Despite popular belief, there is a lot of plant and animal life here. Home of Westworld (Arabian Horse Show grounds), Paradise Turf (horse racing), and Firebird Raceway (auto racing and competitions). Kid friendly places (water parks). Many social events all over town. Sunsets are very beautiful. Sadona is an hour away (a must see!).

The bad: Phoenix has very bad drivers. I can't make enough emphasis on this. GET CAR INSURACE! Streets get kinda crowded in winter from snowbirds and the fiesta bowl (which is a plus if you like football). If you live near a preserve or a coyote area, small pets MUST be kept indoors (I've also seen an owl try to catch a cat). About 5% to 9% of people here (That I've heard of) have been stung by a scorpion or bitten by a rattlesnake (low number, but still possible).

So-so: I personally love dust storms, but they do make a bit of a mess and leave tumbleweeds all over the place. Gas right now is about 2.75 to 3.09 right now and will go higher over the summer, but then lower in the winter. VERY large hispanic community, but also a large Indian community as well. Not many stray animals here, but sometimes exotic birds get lose from the zoo or people's homes and they are fun to find. Very common symbols here: Kokipeli, lizard, gecko, cactus, fire bird (phoenix).

BIG no-no: Never cut down a cactus here (specifically the saguaro). People have been fined up to $25,000 for killing wild saguaro.

I think that's all the major stuff... If anything, I recomend visiting for a week or so.

(I feel like a real estate agent now, hehe!)

Phyliss Carroll Daniel of Jacksonville Fl....looking for burial information.?

Q. This is my son in laws mother who died when he was 3 years old in 1983. His paternal family is very closed mouthed about this death and he is in need of closure, burial information so he can find her grave, and any information.
WE have searched on line but are not sure where to start. He has found information on a few dead siblings of his mother but.....hard to question the dead.
Any tips on how to make a more comprehensive search.
WOW! you guys are ON THE BALL! I spent hours looking for this information for him about 8 years ago and now again.
Seems every site I tried for the SS information I had to pay for it.
Thanks so much. You all have given me lots of info and web links. He will be so surprised and pleased.
When the time comes, I don't have a clue how to select best answer since all were helpfull in one way or another.


Answer
Florida Death Index, 1877-1998 (subscription)
has
Phyllis Daniels
D. 16 Oct 1983
Duval County
age 32
race White
born 9 Oct 1951

http://www.dchd.net/birthdeathcertificates.htm
tells you how your son-in-law can buy a copy of her death certificate. It has a PDF application.

I could not find her obituary. The library there may look it up for you. If not, they may offer to do it by mail for a small fee.
http://jpl.coj.net/lib/services.html
Send e-mail to the "Ask a Librarian" address.

Her death certificate would list cause of death and burial place, almost certainly. She isn't on find-a-grave.

She died at age 32, so there is a good chance it was an accident. If she wrapped her little red sports car around a telephone pole while drunk, the family might not want to speak of it. Ditto snorting cocaine that was 5 times stronger than she thought. If she had died pulling children out of a burning wreck, they'd have the yellowing newspaper clipping framed and hung on a wall.

Since they are closed-mouthed about it, your s-in-l should prepare for some disheartening facts.

If you live close enough to Jacksonville to visit, try the library. Mikki was right - you can look her up in old newspapers on microfiche or, more commonly, microfilm. The librarian will show you how to use the reader. If is was an accident, she may have had a news article instead of an obit. The news would be 0 - 2 days after the event. Obits are usually 3 -5 days after, but look from 0 - 7 days to be sure.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment