Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Does a sport car have anything to do with sport?

sports cars convertible on Red Convertible Icon, PNG ClipArt Image | IconBug.com
sports cars convertible image



heartlessv


When we were younger, we hear adults talk about sports cars. Old Camaros and Firebirds parked on the driveway chipping dried paint and spewing brown rust. Some were ragtop convertibles from the 1970's. Why is a sport car called a sport car when it has nothing to do with sports?


Answer
Back in the day, lots of privately owned Sports Cars were actively involved in racing. It was quite common for a racing enthusiast to buy a little MG or Triumph roadster straight off the dealer's car lot, race it on Sunday and drive it to work on Monday. Even the Trans-Am series back in the 1970's was based on modified production cars like Mustangs and Camaros that started life as factory-built street cars.

Now days with all the commercialization and advanced technology that goes into motorsports, that's no longer practical. The average NASCAR or Formula 1 racer is custom built from the ground up to do one thing, and you would never see one driving on the street.

I'm not sure we have gone in the right direction, but that seems to be where the money is these days... Oh well.

What is the hottest car these days?




Lauriemmm


I love sports cars and convertibles. I'll never own one but I love thinking about them and looking at them. What is the latest and greatest that I should be checking out? (Yeah, yeah, I know, I know - A Honda Accord is great for driving and when I open the sunroof I pretend it is my convertible!)


Answer
Chevy Corvette of course, the only true American sports car. Any year will do.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment