Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mustang as a first car?




Pug_Lover0


I have always loved Mustangs, so I'd be so happy for that to be my first car! I'm not a teenager, I will be 22 this year, so I'm not getting one to brag, show off, or speed. I'm not into showing off or speed. I want a Mustang because I like them. I like their appeal and body. The interiors (based on pictures) are just down right beautiful! I'd prefer to drive responsibly, get where I'm going in one piece and not destory or abuse my vehicle. So here are my questions about getting a Mustang for your first car -


1. What make/model would be best for me? I don't like convertibles, so don't mention those. As I said, I'm not into high speed. I don't want a car for show or to enter in car shows or something like a collector's thing. And of course, no I'm not into racing, so I don't need a race car style vehicle. I just want a nice, beautiful car that I'll love and be comfortable and safe in. On the Ford site, it says these are the models they have - V6, V6 Premium, GT, GT Premium, and a Shelby GT500. Which would be the "one" for me?

2. Would it be a smart idea to save some money and just head to the dealer, pick out a brand new 2013, have them customize the features (if the cars don't come with any already), then put a down payment and set up a payment plan? Or would it be better to go get a decent used one, have the additional features I want installed, then eventually, trade it in and get the brand new model when I've saved more? For a used one, I'd want 2008 or up. Also if it was used, I'd also want to ensure it was a legit and safe car and I wouldn't get screwed in the end. That's what scares me about buying a used vehicle. Other people have drove it and there could be issues.

The features I want are electronical - the number one "must have" for me is a back up camera. I fear backing up, so if I could see everything as if it were right in front of me, it'd be so much better. I'd also want a GPS, that way if I'm traveling, I can easily find directions for where I need to go. The final one is something I'm still kicking around - I saw something on a Buick commerical about some type of parking assistance. Something like that would be really awesome, but I'd want more information before I said yeah put it on my car.

3. Is a Mustang overall a smart "first car" choice? How good are they truly? Are they easy to work on if there's a problem? How long do parts last (is it a low expectancy, or a higher one)? Are they a pain to change the oil and stuff? How are their safety features and what not? Do they handle nicely/are they easy to drive? Are the common buttons you'll need confusing (like how to turn on wipers, lights, turn signals, spraying wind shield cleaner, etc...) or are they easy to find? With my parent's 2011 Dodge Caliber, the switches are annoying so I hear. I wouldn't want mine to be annoying to figure out.

4. Additional tips, info and input (if you have any) can go here.

Thanks very much in advance!
Also, I would definitely need an automatic, not manuel. All my family has ever used is automatic. My mom done warned my manuals are pains. She said when she first started driving, her cousin let her try his and she nearly stripped the gears... so yeah, I want to stick with an automatic I think lol

I'd also like some "modern" things - like keyless/remote entry and power locks/windows... but don't most cars already have that? My parents' Caliber does. I know I said I want a backing camera, but just in case - how is the Mustang's visibility? I've heard that their Caliber is bad for that, especially backing... but I don't know. It might be because my dad is taller and it's a smallish vehicle. I'm just saying - if my camera would break, or I'd want to just try it on my own, I'd want to be sure it was a vehicle with good visibility.
Exactly what I was afraid of and why I was really scared to buy a used one. It just seems to me like someone is passing their headache off onto me. I understand completely that people use and abuse these cars just because they're "sport's cars". It's ridiculous! They're such nice, beautiful cars! Why risk crashing it? When I actually DO get one... it will be very, very well kept and cared for. My brother's friend has a camaro and that poor car as been abused severely. It's kept outside in all sorts of weather (we live in Ohio... so we get it all - rain, snow, sleet, etc...). It's sad because it's a pretty car (solid silver, no stripes). With my Mustang, I wouldn't think of doing such a thing. It'll be kept inside and under a nice car cover.
I'm not a teen - I'll be 22 this year. It rains here... mainly in the summer/spring and the snow is completely iffy. Sometimes we get it in the winter, sometimes we don't. I notice a lot of people have them around here though. So... even if I'm not a fast driver/hot rod... the horsepower would "bother" me?
I have looked on Ford's website (did a build-your-own). I asked all these questions mainly aimed at owners. Someone should know the answers if they own one. I haven't owned one, so I have no idea how they handle or where the switches would be and stuff. I was looking for additional info aside from what I got from the make your own thing. Plus, isn't the purpose of Y!A to ask questions and answer them? That's what I did - ask simple questions that I'm unsure about. I asked about the make/model because i have no idea which would be best for someone like me who isn't into "hot rods" and just wants a nice, good car.



Answer
Personally, unless someone else is paying, don't buy new.

Anyways I'll try to go point by point. And congrats on going on to make such a momentous choice in your life!

1. If speed and power aren't you thing, then the more gas friendly V6 would definitely be the more sensible choice and will get you in less trouble. The GT's,the Shelby especially, are very powerful. Premium is just a Trim level that gets you more toys or luxuries.

2. I would most definitely buy used. You have to shop a little harder to ALL that you want. When you drive a new car off the lot, it usually loses about 10% of its value. If you bother to go through the options list with the dealer, you are probably going to get ripped off compared to those sitting on the lot, as you are more susceptible to the dealer suggesting some more expensive options. The ones on the lot are configured in such a way that the majority of people would have it done. You can trade in the old car and get more of what you paid for if bought used, and buy a slightly less used new used car. if that makes sense. Also if you look on autotrader or cars.com there is usually a button for a free carfax report. You get one per day, that should be your friend. I'll also post a link to how to buy used.

No parking assist. Only on luxury cars do we have that. Backup camera can only be used on cars with SatNav

3. I personally would not say that it is a good first car choice, but it has been the car of choice for Americans since 1965, as the car for everybody. It isn't the safest choice as power goes to the rear wheels, where most modern cars are to the front wheels. What this basically means is that the car is more prone to 'fishtailing'. Which if you don't know what you're doing, you'll get screwed. And it is worse when it is wet. So slow down when it rains. Oil changes are a necessity. No way to avoid it, you can ruin a car if you don't do general maintenance.

Reliability. Good. parts are cheap. General maintenance will help keep it running. Mustangs are fairly low tech, so that makes life easier. The current mustang's suspension is a very ancient design, but is very solid. It makes it more reliable, but not too good in the handling department, but it isn't terrible, deffs good enough. controls are general the same as most normal cars.

4.My car lover says sad face to the no manual, as it is part of the driving experience and definitely what makes the mustang fun. Also, I would not worry about beaters, as mustangs are almost always going to be repaired and restored by people who really love them.

Have fun and be safe. I hope you didn't get scared by all this.

Is a Kia optima a good first car ?




Frank


Ok so I'm looking into cars and I wanted I know What are good cars I want a car that is luxurious but not expensive please have a list of good luxury cars thanks


Answer
I looked at the 2013 KIA Optima before buying the car I have now. One nice car and would not had any problems buying it. I ended up with the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track as I wanted a sports car.

... Andrea... do you believe every thing you hear? If so I have some ocean front property in Kansas I'll sell you real cheap.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment